What documents are needed to move a dog from the United States to the European Union?

Transporting pets and dogs can be a really complicated task if you don’t have a lot of experience. First of all, this can be quite a stressful experience for you because, as you know, a lot can happen to you along the way. The road itself is a very unpredictable thing, even for professionals, and especially when you have a companion, your pet, with you.

Therefore, the best solution is to seek help from agencies, companies, or firms that offer pet transportation services. Through our website, you can not only book the transport of your pet but also check all the conditions of our service as well as the price. Do it today by email or by calling the phone number you can find on our website.

This type of service is actually necessary if you do not have much experience in transporting pets. Because you will avoid all possible inconveniences or negative experiences that may be the result of poor information or lack of knowledge when it comes to this type of transport.

However, if you have decided to do this yourself, in this text you will find certain information that may be useful to you. Although we repeat that it would be best to leave the matter to the professionals. Although our services may seem expensive or unnecessary to you, sometimes it happens that you can actually save time and money this way. Because self-directed transportation can be more expensive due to unforeseen costs or circumstances that may arise during the trip.

When it comes to what documentation you need for your dog when transporting it from the United States to Europe, it is usually paperwork that confirms that your dog is healthy.

The Rules for Bringing a Pet to the EU

You must first meet a number of requirements before traveling to the EU with your pet(s).The following requirements are:

Pet Passport and Pet Documentation

A pet passport, also known as the Common Veterinary Entry Document, is necessary for any pet entering the EU. Following the successful completion of the pet’s identity, documentary, and physical checks, any official veterinarian can issue this document.


Dogs, cats, and ferrets traveling to European countries with their owners must be marked with the implantation of a transponder or a plainly readable tattoo.

Anti-Rabies Vaccination

When traveling to Europe, you must have your pet vaccinated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian. Your pet must be at least 12 weeks old at the time of immunization.

The immunization is valid for 21 days after the completion of the vaccination procedure for the first time.

An Antibody Test for Rabies

The rabies antibody titration test is required for all pets entering the EU. The test must be performed by an authorized veterinarian at least 30 days following the date of rabies vaccination.

Furthermore, you must wait three months from the date the successful blood test was taken before traveling.

The test, which must be performed in an accredited laboratory, must detect a level of rabies virus neutralizing antibody in serum equal to or greater than 0.5 IU/ml.

Certificate of Health

After you have completed all of the measures necessary to make your pet medically fit for the trip, you will need to obtain a pet health certificate. This certificate can be obtained from an official veterinarian or from an approved veterinarian who has been endorsed by the responsible authority.

The following information must be included on the health certificate:

  • The transponder or tattoo displays the alpha-numeric code. 
  • The specifics of rabies vaccination 
  • The specifics of the blood collection and, if appropriate,
  • The specifics of the treatment for Echinococcus multilocularis

This health certificate has to be valid for ten days from the date of issue by the official veterinarian until the date of the documentary and identity checks at Member States’ designated points of entry for travelers. Every trip necessitates a new certificate.

Our agency has often had the opportunity to organize transport from America to the Czech Republic and Germany, as well as vice versa. For example, Germany and the Chez Republic, like  bunch of other countries in the EU, have specific requirements, including a rabies shot and a microchip. (All cats, dogs, and ferrets must have a microchip and a rabies vaccination.) If you wait until the last minute, you may be traveling without your pet!

If you are not sure that you can organize this type of transport yourself, that is completely fine and you should not feel incompetent at all. Even professionals face numerous challenges, even after many years of experience, when they need to transport a dog somewhere for the first time. It is the experience that actually helps them cope better in different conditions, so our advice is to seek help through our agency. We will provide you with probably the most affordable and efficient service on the market.